Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste_gw

Is Coretec really that great?--all our local dealers recommend it

needinfo1
7 years ago

I know there is another thread about Coretec with 1,500 replies. That thread is getting to be nearly two years old, so I thought I'd start a new one where info is up to date.

We have done extensive comparison shopping, and nearly everyplace we have visited recommends Coretec. But.....we still have some hesitations about this product and are considering two other products too.

Why is it that all of these dealers recommend it?

Is it the fact that it conceals and covers less than perfect floors?

Is it because it is easy to install?

Is it because it is a bit more comfortable to stand on than straight vinyl planks?

Is it truly top of the line quality as far as the wear layer and the composition of the vinyl?

What are your thoughts? I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have installed this and people in the flooring industry. We are looking at a basement install. Thanks.

Comments (199)

• nicolene merk
    2 years ago

I have Noble Oak which is one of their Coretec premium plus HD products 7' and 72 long. Light oak color. My installer said this floor is the most durable floor he has ever seen. It is 1/2 inch thick. I have had it 3 months now. I have a ton of natural light. 2 dogs 2 kids and have yet to mop the floors. Not one mark on them yet. I have lightly swept them and that is it. Light colored floors show less. I posted pics in a prior post. Hope that helps! Everyone loves them when they see them in person too.

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have Coretec Hayes Oak in our Florida home. Honestly, I don’t know how you can scratch it. I’ve dragged furniture, dropped things, have a dog etc.

I use a stuck vacumn but also a regular one.

• Ruhi Raheja
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We’re struggling to select a colour from Coretec XL range of colours. does anyone have a picture of how Tasman oak looks at their place https://coretecfloors.com/en-au/products/coretec-wood-xl-plus/tasman-oak-50lvp950? Also would dyson vacuum be fine to use on Coretec floors. thank you

• bondia
    2 years ago

Ruhi Raheja, I think any vacuum is fine as long as the beater bar is not used. Here is a link to COREtec's care instructions: https://pdmsview.shawinc.com/viewer/doc/3235

• HU-258209120
    2 years ago

Ms Smith (or anyone) do you have pics of Bastion Elm in their home?

Does it cause problems with ripping socks, visible footprints or look dull after washing?

if you have it, does the actual product look like the store sample?

• lady_bug1120
    2 years ago

Has anyone tried their new line - Advanced Plus (scratch proof)? it looks amazing and very thick at 9mm. We are leaning this route for our main floor

• Jorge Carral
    2 years ago

Wow, such a helpful thread! Does anyone have Coretec Blended Sienna installed? Thanks!

• Carmella Jochmann
    2 years ago

y

• HU-772119012
    2 years ago

Does anyone have a photo of Emersed Oak on there floors.

• HU-603435485
    2 years ago

I own and run an in home daycare, and I am looking to put the Coretec Pro Plus color Laguna Oak in my kitchen, dining area and my preschool area. Lots of little feet running around and it's also located in my basement. I have a friend that told me not to put it in as it buckles bad. Anyone have experience with this?

• bondia
    2 years ago

I’ve had my core tech pro plus highland oak for about six months, pretty heavy use, no buckling at all. I’m very pleased with this product.

• Han Pag
    2 years ago

HU-603435485, I honestly wouldn't. I dont have the same floor but all the LVP planks nowadays have the same matte coating and it rips off the kids' knees when crawling and sock when walking. My baby ruined brand new pants in 10 min. Several pairs. We eventually bought knee pads and it helped. She's walking now so we don't have an issue anymore. But if you have kiddos who crawl I wouldn't recommend.

• shaunarca
    2 years ago

I use the Shark Vertex vacuum on the floor setting with the soft brush roller. (The brush roller feels like it's covered with high pile velvet or corduroy) I also use a damp microfiber mop with some "Better Life" floor cleaner on it. Better Life is a no alcohol, no petroleum, no dye, no paraben cleaner. I have no rug or pads under my dining room table, and I push my chairs around all the time. My floor is over a year old and still looks brand new. I also have teens and cats. I absolutely love my Coretec floor. I have Ravenswood Oak.

• Carol McNickols
    2 years ago

@HU-603435485 I would be cautious using much of the Vinyl Plank Flooring out there right now in an area used for children that crawl or scoot around the floors. Much of it will destroy clothing and skin in no time flat. There are a few very informative posts on here with results of great testing to see what ones cause the most damage! I think one of them uses coretec in its name. Try doing a search for topics like Do not use Coretec or something of that nature or just weed through the posts about this flooring that were posted in the last couple months!

• Han Pag
    2 years ago

I mentioned earlier in my comment that our LVP (Provenza but the same kind of matte finish as in Coretec) ripped off my crawling baby's knees in all her new pants. As fast as in a couple of minutes. We bought knee pads and that almost resolved the problem. What I forgot to tell was that it also broke my 10 month old sensitive finger tips. I would find traces of blood everywhere. Bandages didn't really help as the baby liked to eat them.. so no, wouldn't recommend for crawling kiddos.

• Danielle Bowden
    last year

Has anyone installed Warwick oak XL before?

• HU-449423542
    last year

Does anyone have Cortex Dodwell Oak installed? I am trying to decide between the Coretex Dodwell Oak and the Mannington Adura Max Swiss Oak Almond. I have read several reviews that say the ridges in the Coretex makes it difficult to clean and it always appear dirty. Has anyone else had this experience?

• Barbara Henk
    last year

Anyone installed Norfolk Maple (Cortec) or Norway Oak (Phoenix?)

• Barbara Henk
    last year

How about Allegiant Walnut? also Cortec

• Vivek Shankar
    last year

Also looking at the Norfolk Maple.

• alana turner
    last year

Anyone installed Blended Praline COREtec Plus HD? It has the new rolled over beveled edges.

• HU-595278128
    8 months ago

I’ve been on and around these products for years. They do not tear clothes up, or hurt children’s skin. It’s flooring, for goodness sake. This is a great, high-end product. If this floor did that, every flooring product would do it. Let’s keep the conversation reality-based and professional.

• HU-791912158
    7 months ago

I haven't seen a single comment on Coretex vinyl plank's ability to withstand extreme temperatures. I live in the desert and the heat is extreme several months a year. My lower unit does not get much direct sunlight at all, but it does get pretty hot inside. I can't afford to temperature control my place the months I am not here, so I need a very durable product that can withstand temps over 85, which is the standard in the vinyl plank literature, regardless of brand. (up to 100 would be more than enough). I'm considering a SPC vinyl tile as I believe it would stand up better to the heat, although that's not stated explicily in any of their literature either. Any comments would be appreciated

• cnunn
    7 months ago

We installed Coretec Advanced plus seven months ago. We had it installed professionally. The installer per installation guidelines had a 1/4" gap along all edges. However, our floor is buckling seriously. We ordered more flooring to correct the problem, but the new flooring profile is not compatlible to the flooring we received just seven months ago. Coretec said nothing about the new profile would not fit our existing flooring. Now we are in limbo and am filing a claim to receive all new flooring. This is very upsetting considering we purchased supposedly a high end product that is supposed to be one of the best in the business. Not happy. Everyone else had this problem?

• HU-595278128
    7 months ago

I just had 2000 sq ft installed. It’s glorious.

I’m thinking if it’s buckling, it’s an installation issue.

• HU-595278128
    7 months ago

Tulsa Oak CORETec Plus LVP

• HU-595278128
    7 months ago

Same…

• D Franklin
    5 months ago

I will never recommend or install it it has numerous issues and there are so many better and cheaper products available, 45 year contractor!

• Steven Gomo
    4 months ago

D Franklin: such as? Issue details matter.

• Jodi Wire
    3 months ago

We had planned to install the Coretec Grande Lotte Oak; however have utlimately chosen another LVP. I have approx 1,500 sq ft available for sale -- willing to offer deeply discounted pricing. We are located in WI but can ship. Pls contact me at jwire@tds.net if interested.

• got4spin
    3 months ago

@jodi wire please let me know pricing you are offering. We would have to ship to PA. Can I ask what LVP you installed instead?

• Jodi Wire
    3 months ago

@got4spin - appreciate your response and am open to negotiation on pricing. I had done some estimated shipping to costs and it adds approx $1/sq ft to pricing -- if that makes sense. We are looking at the Flooret line of LVP - namely, due to liking one of their color options. I will share though that we are also now considering this same COREtec line, just in another color. If you're comfortable, may be best for pricing discussion to continue via email --- if that works for you, pls email me at: jwire@tds.net. We are located in WI, just an FYI. Thanks!

• HU-629856601
    3 months ago

We bought a brand new home 3 years ago this April. This was the Builder’s choice -i had never heard of it. i took a picture of what builder wanted to put in to a flooring store to check it out. Employee’s response was ”oh, thats the expensive one, very good” we have had NO problems with it. have never seen any white powder and it is easy to clean. we just use a little water.

• cnunn
    2 months ago

We have Cortec Advanced +. I have been using the recommened Encore cleaning product. However, my floor is streaking after mopping. Any ideas how to get rid of the streaking?

Thank you

• jqueen3
    2 months ago

Well...I am considering Coretec flooring and I can honestly say that none of the messages in this thread have helped me make a decision at all! LOL It appears the flooring either generates its own white powder dust, eats clothing and causes injury, refuses to stay installed and buckles after installation or is the perfect LVP and is loved by many. I guess the purchase of Coretec LVP is just a roll of the dice huh?

• HU-595278128
    2 months ago

jqueen3 - I have CoreTec. I know…there are so many choices. I happen to like my CoreTec…and if you consider that it is a top seller for how long? In how many homes? That says it all right there - it’s obviously a good product - just make sure you have a good installer.

One final note: I just toured the home of an elite area builder last week. They installed some super high-end LVP on top of some sub floor that was brand new, state of the art something - it had a brand name. Like - the actual wood (new build). It makes my compressed board and CoreTec feel cheap and horrible by comparison. Theirs felt rock…solid.

So many factors must be considered - good luck! 😀👍

• mojoski
    2 months ago

@HU-59527812 Do you remember the name of what this other high-end LVP floor was? I'd really love to know! Thanks!

• Tina Vasbinder
    27 days ago

I just had Core Tec conch ash installed. I’m very unhappy as there are shadow lines at seams, shows everything and marks easily. I do not recommend it. I am trying to get it replaced by installer/ manufacturer.

• Georganne J
    27 days ago

I hope you're successful getting it taken out. I've had mine for several years and hated it since day one. No luck getting the contractor to replace it.

• HU-595278128
    27 days ago

That flooring looks 20 years old! It’s filthy.

• Georganne J
    26 days ago

Mine looks worse. Sweep then swiffer then mop then dry. Twice a day! It looks good for two hours and that's it. Time to repeat the routine. The darkest and lightest planks are the worst. Get the mid range that look like wood if you must have vinyl. I'm replacing mine with scraped engineered hardwood...when I win the lottery.

• HU-595278128
    26 days ago

Sorry to hear this - mine looks perfect and has held up amazingly. I recommend it to all my clients and friends.

• mtokar123
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Watch out for squeaks and crackling noise!

We had Coretec Hayes Oak installed in 3 bedrooms on top of concrete in 2019 without an issue. Looks great and has held up fine. In December 2023 we decided to install Hayes Oak over ceramic tile in our Great Room which connects to all of the bedrooms . From the beginning, it squeaked and make crackly sounds everywhere. Coretec sent an independent floor inspector in February and they accepted the claim, admitting that the flooring is defective. Since that time, our installer, Floor Meisters of Naples, has tested an additional 5 lots and say that they all squeak. Now we are in a dilemma, as we have an open concept home and there is not another LVP that looks like Hayes Oak that can be installed in order to keep continuity with the bedrooms. So our options are to remove the Hayes Oak and the ceramic tile underneath and replace with a ceramic tile that coordinates with Hayes Oak in the bedrooms, or pick another LVP for the entire house. So about 2300sq ft of flooring would have to be removed. Either way it will be a big expense and hassle. I am leaning towards removing the Hayes Oak and replacing it with ceramic tile as I am now leary of using LVP.

• D K
    18 days ago

mtokar123, wow, that’s awful! Good luck making a decision and I hope it all works out for you.

• eld6161
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

I have Hayes Oak in my Florida home, also since 2019. No issues.

Even if they didn't squee, I'd be surprised if they would be the same color since many years apart and different dye lot.

• HU-595278128
    18 days ago

Yeah…you should always remove the previous flooring before installing LVP. Sorry to hear this.

• Barbara Henk
    18 days ago

😚 Best of luck!

• mtokar123
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

The installer is going to replace the flooring and I picked Conch Ash as it is similar to Hayes Oak, Now I am concerned after reading the previous reviews that it looks dirty and has shadows in the seams , however HU 595 says its perfect, Not sure what to do?

• HU-595278128
    11 days ago

I can't believe these comments continue. CoreTec is one of the most successful, durable brands on the market. If a few people had installation issues, that does not warrant berating here. If you are buying real CoreTec and having it installed properly, you will be fine.

• D K
    11 days ago

My Highland Oak Cortec is now almost 3 years old. No issues at all and we could not be happier with it.